viernes, 18 de diciembre de 2015

IMPRESSION MAT SOAP CHALLENGE - THREE WISE MEN SOAP



This month's challenge was about using impression mats to texture your soap. The mats could be store bought, like the ones used to decorate cakes, or made with silicone. I lacked the time to make my own or the money to buy the ready made ones, so I used some tiny ones that I already had from another of my crafty areas of interest: polymer clay.

I initially thought of a really tiny one I have that fitted perfectly across one of the cavities of the half cylinder silicone mould. 


 

But I thought making 120 gr. of soap was not right, so I decided to make moulds for another couple of those mini impression mats.   


   


For all three of them I used the dry mica painting method:



Next time I will try to the other method, that is making the soap in two stages, first filling the concave areas of the impression mat with thick traced soap, and then placing that at the bottom of the mould and filling it up with the rest of the soap. The results of this method can be astounding, but I'm afraid I will have to exercise a lot more patience than I normally have, because I tend to ruin a lot of soap by unmoulding too early :-(  and I suspect you need to wait quite a bit to avoid leaving half the soap behind in the mat.... or maybe try to bypass the waiting by adding a fair bit of salt ;-) We'll see.

Anyway, here are the results of my attemps. The first one is very much in the Christmas spirit, scented with a blend of frankincense and myhrr essential oils and a bit of sweet orange to brighten it up (I'm not a huge fan of myhrr and like to tone it down). Coloured with activated charcoal and having the mat dry painted with gold mica, for me it just embodies the gifts presented to baby Jesus by the Three Wise Men.



The next one was coloured with lovely pink ultramarine, but I made the rookie mistake of including orange x10 in the blend, which of course turned the soap batter orange :P . But the next day it had morphed to a quite lovely salmon colour, so I'm fine with that, plus I think it's a good match for the antique silver mica I used on the mat.



And the third one is a more colourful one. I don't think it is a particularly good looking soap, but I'm happy because it meant I made peace with indigo. It is not the blue jeans blue I've always tried to achieve with indigo and failed miserably because the soap either turned an ugly dark grey or stained when used. This time I used indigo that I had been infusing in light olive oil for weeks. I knew it would not be the dark blue I've seen in other soaps and loved, but I quite like this hue and I already have a couple of projects in my mind where I will be using it. Btw, the line in the middle is not a mica line, but a very fine soap line made with leftover soap from the first one coloured with activated charcoal.
    

I feel the photos do not do justice to the Three Wise Men soap, but I have decided it will be my entry for this month's challenge because it's my personal favourite out of the three.*** 



So... It's a good thing I got up early this Sunday morning! Oh, the joys of time difference. 6:20 am my local time and I wake up to an email from Amy that my soap entry does not comply with the guidelines because it hasn't been made in a log or slab mold. With about half an hour left all I can do is hope for the tiny molds I made for the other impression mats, even though small, to be considered as such. So I change my entry to my salmon coloured soap, which I honestly have not thought of a name for yet. This is as much as I can do at the moment. Good luck everyone!

Thanks everyone! Every month I learn so much from you and I never cease to be amazed by all the talent out there.

Cheers!

Anna 













20 comentarios :

  1. Respuestas
    1. Thank you, Omneya Andrea! I had to change my entry after publishing because it did not comply :-( This lead up to Christmas + end of the school year is a pretty crazy time, so I didn't even read the guidelines properly...

      Eliminar
  2. Respuestas
    1. Thank you, Debi! Unfortunately, I had to change my entry in the last minute -quite literally- Too busy to read the guidelines carefully :-(

      Eliminar
  3. Este comentario ha sido eliminado por el autor.

    ResponderEliminar
  4. All your soaps are beautiful! I like your take on a Christmas soap. It looks really classy and stylish :)

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Thank you, Lisa! In the end I had to change my entry in the last minute and it's not the Christmas soap anymore. This is the first year for me that both the lead up to Christmas + end of the school year with four young kids coincide. I used to do those one at a time and it was already hard enough to manage as it was. Now I need to get used to both together and maybe then I can give guidelines proper attention :P

      Eliminar
  5. Very lovely! I had thought I'd never use one of the half round molds, but now I see how wonderfully they can be used. Congratulations on conquering Indigo! :)

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Thank you, Eva! Well... just as well you hadn't, at least for this challenge :-) because round moulds were out according to guidelines, so I had to change my entry in the last minute. Silly me hadn't paid enough attention.
      But do give round moulds a chance. Some of my favourite soaps had been made in round moulds. Not a big fan of wrapping them, though.

      Eliminar
  6. Wow! All of your soaps are just amazing. So elegant and beautiful.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Thank you so much, Holly! I did have a lot of fun creating them, first in my head and then in real life :-)

      Eliminar
  7. All your soaps turned out lovely, Anna - I'm so glad you were able to update your entry in time! :)

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Thank you, Amy! Yeah, I almost didn't. But last month I didn't submit my entry because I wasn't happy with it. Then I wasn't happy with myself that I hadn't submitted it, so I couldn't let another month go by without properly participating in these fun challenges.
      It's almost like it was meant to be this way because normally, even if I've made more than one soap, I write a blog post only for the one I intend to submit. This time I had included all of them in the post, so that has made it a lot easier to change the entry in the last minute, literally :-)
      Also, I don't normally wake up this early on a Sunday, unless I have a market to go, so I wouldn't have seen your email in time.
      So yeah, I think it was just meant to be this way :-)

      Eliminar
  8. Thank goodness you did write about all three! They are also beautiful it would have been a shame that we couldn't share your experiences and the beauty of your creations! Thank you for sharing them with us, and I will take this as a lesson learned from you to share all of my creations during future challenges as well. Even if just for the learning experiences.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Thank you, Danielle for your kind words! I learn so much from all of you every month! If I can contribute with something that makes me so very happy :-)

      Eliminar
  9. Anna, you did a wonderful job! I love the Wise Men soap, but I also really love the elegance of your entry soap. I think the sophisticated simplicity shows off the texture really well, which was the challenge this month! Just beautiful!

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Thank you, Penny! So glad you like them. Elengance, sophistication and simplicity are all qualities I love. Makes me sooo happy that you think I have achieved them in my work. Thank you!

      Eliminar
  10. I would not of thought to put the mat in the mold with the space on the sides. It came out extremely cool! You think outside of the box and that is something truly special.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Thank you, Dawn! I thought like this it would look like the chest full of precious gifts that was behind the idea of the colours and the essential oil blend :-)

      Eliminar
  11. Este comentario ha sido eliminado por el autor.

    ResponderEliminar