sábado, 23 de enero de 2016

CIRCLING TAIWAN SWIRL

One more month, one more soap challenge. This time is a modified version of the Taiwan swirl. After completing the Taiwan swirl, the pattern becomes wavy by circling the skewer around the mould and, when you cut horizontally, the two bars at each end (if you're lucky...) put side by side mirrorwise will resemble a lotus flower.

One of the many things I like about the monthly challenges is that I often take the oportunity to try other things that are often put off. This month, besides the technique, which was also a first for me, I did another two new things: 1) I hand stirred for the first time (talk about being stick blender dependent...) and 2) I tried a vegan alternative to tussah silk.  

The first one I consider a success. Even after 3 years soaping I will still be haunted by "insufficient stirring" horror stories while with the blender in hand, so I have the tendency to do those extra 2 seconds that can potentially ruin a good swirl. I think I have got better lately, but still. So, since this techique required a very thin trace, I decided this was the moment to take the advice of other experienced soapers, like Kenna Cote and hand stir this one. I'm very happy with the result, but I guess that's only because it was a 1 kg. batch (about 2 Lb.), you will not find me hand stirring a 5 kg. batch, sorry :-(  But I will definitelly hand stir small batches from now on. You learn so much about the behaviour of soap this way and you're so much more in control of the consistency you need for whatever technique you're implementing.

I could probably have stirred a bit more because the batter was on the 'a bit too thin' side, but that did not have any consequences of poor saponification, or even delayed unmoulding. It actually had the very best final texture I remember in a long time. Absolutelly zero bubles and smoth as a baby's bum. The problem was more the batter seeping through neighbouring compartments and the elastic bands not being enough to hold the dividers down. Although this could rather be a problem of my DIY dividers... 

The great thing about this mould is tha the side reinforcements give you excellent guidance to place all three dividers
Minimum amount I could purchase. Grrrr...
The second new thing I tried didn't leave me as happy. I LOVE tussah silk in soap and I use it every time I am not using an alternative liquid. But that single ingredient makes most of my current soaps non vegan. So I have been thinking about an alternative for a while. I thought bamboo tops or banana tops could do the trick. The area where I now live is famed for their bananas (although the industry has now given way to other more profitable crops) and banana tops is said to have "silk like properties", so I decided to try it in this small batch. Initially it seemed to work fine, some of it disolved just like silk does the first moments you put it in the lye water, but after half an hour it was clear it was not going to substantially disolve any further. Certainly not it the time that it takes for the lye water to cool and I was not in the mood for waiting until the next day to see what happened to it, so I filtered it when it was time to mix it with the oils. I will have to wait until the soap is ready to use before I can tell if the minute amount that disolved made any difference to the soap or not. My guess is it hasn't. We'll see.  


The fibers in lye water after half an hour, only slightly more
disolved, despite my persistent stirring of it
Banana tops just stirred into the lye water












As for the soap, I wished it would have turned a bit more wavy, but I stopped circling around the mould because one of the ends was running out of the third colour and it was important that the end had all three colours for a better effect. 


Since it was meant to resemble a lotus flower, I scented it with a lovely flowery blend of rose geranium, lavandin and petitgrain essential oils.

Cute little mantra hearts made with the leftover soap batter. I measured the three parts pretty carefully, so I guess I wasn't as careful when pouring each section, with the dividers moving and some soap seeping into neighbouring sections...
For the colours I used ultramarine blue and titanium dioxide for the blue, burlesque mica from 'U-make it up' for the dark pink and titanium dioxide for the white. 



Best of luck to everyone! I can't wait to see what you guys have created :)

Anna

9 comentarios :

  1. This is so pretty and I really enjoyed reading about your process in making this soap! Thanks for sharing!

    ResponderEliminar
  2. This turned out beautifully, Anna! I'm completely like you - scared of the hand stir after my first batch was a complete failure. I should definitely try again! Sorry the banana tops didn't work out - I've never even heard of them before!

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Thank you, Amy! Do try hand stirring again. It's totally worth it. I actually enjoyed it much more than I thought I would.
      I found out about banana tops only a few months ago when looking for a local supplier of tussah silk. I researched a bit, but could not find much information at all, and certainly nothing related to its use in soaping. I bought it from a company that sells all sorts of fibers for felting, so couldn't ask them either. I could only try myself. But it's ok, will keep experimenting :)

      Eliminar
  3. Beautiful job, Anna! It was very intriguing to read about your tussah alternative. I will have to keep updated with your blog to see what other neat things you discover. Great job!

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Thank you, Debi! I love experimenting with new things, although I don't always have the time or the cash to do it. And I learn so much from this wonderful community of soapers that it is just fair that I share my little experiments too when I do have the chance :)

      Eliminar
  4. Beautiful job, Anna! It was very intriguing to read about your tussah alternative. I will have to keep updated with your blog to see what other neat things you discover. Great job!

    ResponderEliminar
  5. It looks like a face in your soap at the bottom. LOL It turned out beautiful. I am sure the hearts turned out well too!

    ResponderEliminar