jueves, 12 de mayo de 2016

TEARDROP TECHNIQUE - SOAP CHALLENGE MAY 2016



This month's Amy Warden's soap challenge was about the teardrop technique. This technique was first introduced by an incredibly talented Taiwan soaper known in Facebook as 'sweetly sweetly sweetly' and made more widely known by my fellow country man and equally talented, Sergio Masala. His videos are a pleasure to watch, always perfectly matching his creations to a piece of music that has either inspired them, or has come to his mind upon seeing the result of his art.


I really should call this entry "Tears of Joy and Despair", and here is why.

I usually leave the challenge to the last minute. I just can't help it, I'm made like that. This means I normally don't have more than one go at it due to lack of time, and this month was no different. This is my one and only try before the deadline. I wasn't able to participate the last couple of months and I really, really wanted to do it this time, so I had to concentrate and try to get it right. 


My recipe has a high amount of trace speeding hard oils, so I decided to hand stir this batch and use a non speeding essential oil blend of lavender, rosemary and several citrus oils for scent.  This was one of those rare times when I felt I was quite in control of the process. I could almost hear Amy whispering in my ear the whole time "...pour slowly..., pour slowly..." ;-)



After I finished I felt I would get a more or less satisfying result, especially considering it was my first go at this technique. Mostly, I was proud of myself for having been patient enough during stirring and pouring. Those would be my tears of joy. 

But,........ that's when I ran out of the very little patience I have :-(





It was only Thursday morning Australia time, so I could have waited a bit longer before unmoulding, right? Well, no. I just couldn't keep my hands to myself, could I? So this is what happened:




Both ends of the log!!! And these, as you will all understand, are my tears of despair. 


I will certainly play with this technique again and try to get the tear drop more "suspended" by pouring more base soap at the bottom and/or let it set up for longer before pouring the teardrop part.


Still, I managed to save six decent bars out of the lot, and the four sadly torn remaining ones will be put to good use in the family shower in a few weeks from today.


Good luck everyone! 




16 comentarios :

  1. Hi Anna, I'm glad you were able to save 6 bars. Your teardrops are so pretty and you photographed them beautifully. Gotta hate that "I knew I unmoulded too soon but did it anyway" moment!

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Thank you, Lisa! I do enjoy photographying soaps, too. Still a lot to learn on that aspect as well, but it's one more of the many creative sides that soapmaking has to offer.
      And yeah, don't know how but I often manage to mess up my soaps last minute like 'this top looks good, but let me just give it another touch' and then 'plop' the spoon slips off my hands and lands in the middle of the wet soap, half way through, ruining the design inside. Arrrrgggggg!

      Eliminar
  2. I'm amazed - I tried 4 times and couldn't pull a decent drop out of mine! XD Beautiful bright colors. And I hear you on the patience part - I've messed a few things up myself by not waiting long enough, or thinking 'Oh, I could just ...'

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Thank you, Nathicana! It's still very far from being perfect, but I can't complain for a first try. I really enjoyed making this soap.

      Eliminar
  3. Way to go, Anna!! Glad I could be with you in spirit to help you with the challenge. LOL! I'm sorry you lost those end pieces, but wow! What a great first attempt!

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. You definitely were there, Amy! Will have to continue perfecting this technique, but yeah, I cannot complain about the results of this first try :-)

      Eliminar
  4. I am so envious that you were able to get this kind of perfection on your very first try, Anna! Your soap turned out so pretty and I really love the design that was created from the layers in the drops. I am glad to hear I am not the only one who waits until the last minute on these things and also that I am not the only one who's impatience gets the better of her sometimes either! 😁

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. With your wonderful work you have nothing to envy me, Debi :-)
      I really should be taking a crash course on time management. I'm hopeless :P

      Eliminar
  5. Your colors are so bright and cheerful!! Who needs the soap-ends anyway, your soap came out really nice!

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Thank you, Sara! The soap-ends will not go to waste anyway, that's for sure :-)

      Eliminar
  6. Congrats on a fantastic first go of it Anna! I have a hard time waiting to unmold also, mostly with a new technique! I want to see it NOW! I love how yours turned out. : )

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Thank you, Eva! You're exactly right: waiting is soooo much harder when you're trying a new technique, isn't it?

      Eliminar
  7. Very nice, colors are great, beautiful soap!

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Thank you! I had a very different colour combination in mind initially, but in the end I felt like doing a more funky one :-)

      Eliminar